This past weekend, Russell and I went to the Big City (I never thought I would describe a city of 270,000 as “big”) to buy a grill and outdoor furniture – neither of which we got.

Instead, we drove an hour and a half so that a piece of equipment could be stolen from his truck while we were eating lunch. Good times.

But, I did find Nutella, so I guess it wasn’t a total waste of a day.

I don’t think I’ve had Nutella since I was a kid, and Russell had never had it. For the past few days, I’ve been racking my brain trying to remember how I used to eat it, but all I can remember is eating it out of the jar with a spoon.

Or, more likely, my finger.

It turns out, Russell’s not down with eating a chocolatey spread with his finger. It’s one of his few flaws. So, I made oatmeal muffins, with a Nutella frosting. And now Russell is a Nutella convert.

I much prefer putting frosting on a muffin rather than a cupcake. Somehow it seems healthier.

And these muffins actually are fairly healthy – the whole grains make a pretty hearty muffin and not too much sugar means they’re not too sweet. They got the Russell seal of approval for healthy carbs.

Considering they are really just a vessel for getting Nutella frosting into your mouth, there’s no sense loading the muffins down with sugar and fat.

Oatmeal Muffins
(Makes 6 muffins)

Start by soaking 1/2 a cup of old-fashioned oats with 1/2 cup of buttermilk. Soak until the oats are soft, about 30 minutes.

In a separate bowl, combine and stir until just mixed:

• a little less than 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons melted and cooled butter
  • 3 teaspoons of egg whites
  • a splash of vanilla

In another bowl, combine:

• 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • a pinch of salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Once the oats are soft, combine all of the ingredients and stir until just mixed.

Divide into 6 greased muffin tins. Bake for 14 minutes at 375, or until it passes the toothpick test. Turn out and let cool on a wired rack.

Nutella Frosting
(for 6 muffins)

Mix together:

• 2 tablespoons softened butter
  • 1/8 cup powdered sugar
  • a little more than 1/4 cup Nutella

Beat on high until a cream frosting is made.

Once the muffins are cool, spread frosting on top.

Enjoy!

———————————–

Get more updates from our farm in West Texas on Twitter: @andruswilliams.

18 Comments on Oatmeal Muffins with Nutella Frosting

1. Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles
    August 24, 2011 at 5:44 PM (6 years ago)

Anything with Nutella is pretty amazing in my book. I could eat the stuff by the gallon (and thus it is disallowed from the shopping list…) Ah, sigh.

• Julia
      August 25, 2011 at 11:56 AM (6 years ago)

Seriously – I had forgotten how good it is! I’m really glad that the only place I can find it around here is 100 miles away, or I’d be eating it by the gallon for sure!

2. elizabeth-flourishinprogress
    August 24, 2011 at 7:49 PM (6 years ago)

Ugh, thieves! So sorry to hear about this.

Glad you had this Nutella treat as a consolation!

• Julia
      August 25, 2011 at 11:58 AM (6 years ago)

It’s the little things in life….

3. Sasha @ The Procrastobaker
    August 25, 2011 at 5:17 AM (6 years ago)

An oaty muffiny vessel for nutella? Is anything in the world going to be better than that, i think not! This sounds SO GOOD, great recipe 🙂

• Julia
      August 25, 2011 at 11:58 AM (6 years ago)

Thanks! But really, any vessel for getting Nutella in your mouth is gonna be pretty amazing.

4. Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking
    August 25, 2011 at 10:22 AM (6 years ago)

Sorry about the robbery! Hope the Nutella helped to ease some of the aggravation. The muffins look great!
    My Nutella doesn’t last very long because I’m ALWAYS eating it out of the jar with a spoon!

• Julia
      August 25, 2011 at 11:57 AM (6 years ago)

The Nutella did help, for sure. I’m thinking it might be the answer to all of life’s problems…

5. Chelly
    August 25, 2011 at 11:37 AM (6 years ago)

This recipe looks amazing. I’ve been looking for an excuse to shove my face with nutella, and I think i just found it. One question though (and excuse me if it sounds silly/dumb), but did you grease your muffin tins before putting the batter in?

• Julia
      August 25, 2011 at 11:56 AM (6 years ago)

YES, greased muffin tins! Thank you for pointing that out. It’s fixed now!

6. Emily
    August 30, 2011 at 10:27 AM (6 years ago)

Oh heavens, these look fantastic. The second chocolate is back in my life, I’m definitely going to have these!

• Julia
      September 1, 2011 at 9:44 PM (6 years ago)

Oh man…. I will make a sacrifice and eat extra chocolate for you until then.

7. Anna @ hiddenponies
    August 30, 2011 at 10:35 AM (6 years ago)

Mmm, found these on Tasty Kitchen and had to see more of your recipes 🙂 These look delicious, hooray for more Nutella vessels!

• Julia
      September 1, 2011 at 9:44 PM (6 years ago)

Thanks! I am pretty bummed that I ate the last one a few days ago. Suppose that means it’s time to make more?

8. Lauren at Keep It Sweet
    September 1, 2011 at 6:52 PM (6 years ago)

These look amazing…. nothing like a healthy muffin for breakfast…. with frosting:-)

• Julia
      September 1, 2011 at 9:43 PM (6 years ago)

Ha – that’s how I roll. Frosting is totally justified as a breakfast food if it’s on a muffin.

9. Kristin Murdock
    September 1, 2011 at 7:32 PM (6 years ago)

Oh nutella, how delicious you are. I love the commercial where the Mom is trying to convince us all it’s actually a really healthy thing to serve to your kids for breakfast… I’m not buying that for a second, but that doesn’t make me love it any less. 🙂 Also, Julia, your photo class is really paying off because your pics are looking AWE-Some. 🙂

• Julia
      September 1, 2011 at 9:42 PM (6 years ago)

I read that someone is filing a lawsuit against Nutella for false claims that it’s healthy. But, seriously, how much worse can it be than Coco Puffs or some other overly-sweet, overly-processed cereal?