I have a friend, Muffin, who calls all of her friends Muffin. So, when we cook together, we often make muffins. Sweet, savory; it doesn’t matter.

One of my favorite recipes born out of my friendship with Muffin is for turkey meatloaf muffins. This recipe is adapted from my mom’s meatloaf – which is the only meatloaf I’ll eat. This is the healthier, easier-to-control-your-portions little sister of my mom’s meatloaf.

It’s tangy. It’s easy to make. It’s delicious. And, did I mention, it’s healthy?

Here’s the recipe:

1 pound extra lean ground turkey breast
1 slice of whole wheat bread, crumbled
1/2 white onion, diced
1 egg
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bottle Heinz chili sauce
Salt and pepper

You can also sneak in some veggies – carrots, peppers, mushrooms, etc. – but, I’m a bit of a meatloaf purist and don’t include these.

In a bowl, mix together turkey, bread crumbs, onion, egg, garlic, 1/2 bottle of chili sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well. It works best to mix with your hands.

In a greased muffin tin, divide mixture into 10-12 muffins. Cook for 30 minutes on 375, or until muffins are cooked through.

Cover muffins with remaining chili sauce and cook for another 10 minutes.

———————————–

Get more updates from our farm in West Texas on Twitter: @andruswilliams.

11 Comments on Turkey Meatloaf Muffins

1. elizabeth-flourishinprogress
    June 9, 2011 at 7:10 PM (6 years ago)

bless you.

i love meatloaf. so much. more than so much. only cupcakes top it. only thing is, when i make a loaf, it looks great until i try to cut and serve it and then it just looks like a pile of something totally unimpressive. this is the reason i never serve it when we have guests.

you have just put meatloaf back on the “things i can serve guests” list.

• Julia
      June 18, 2011 at 6:35 PM (6 years ago)

I should probably win the Nobel Peace Prize or something for putting meatloaf back on the dinner party menu. Just a thought.

2. Muffin
    June 16, 2011 at 1:55 PM (6 years ago)

Muffin, meat, and broc in the background…that photo is so us. Sadly, your food is more photogenic than me.

• Julia
      June 18, 2011 at 6:36 PM (6 years ago)

I think we’re both way more photogenic now that not all of our photos are of us walking home from happy hour or an event we crashed. Free booze + walking in DC humidity = bad pictures.

3. Kristin Murdock
    June 17, 2011 at 8:10 AM (6 years ago)

I LOOOOVVVEEE turkey meatloaf! I honestly think it’s even better than regular meatloaf and these look like the *perfect* individual meatloaf muffins. Thanks for sharing the recipe. mmm!

• Julia
      June 18, 2011 at 6:34 PM (6 years ago)

I totally agree that turkey meatloaf is better. You can taste the non-meat ingredients so much better without the heavy flavor of fatty beef.

4. Tres Delicious
    August 28, 2011 at 1:15 AM (6 years ago)

That muffins look delectably enticing. I love its appearance.

5. Lauren @ hey, who cut the cheese?
    August 28, 2011 at 12:43 PM (6 years ago)

These meatloaf muffins look delicious! And not to mention the fact that they’re super cute =) Thank you for sharing this recipe. I’ll definitely have to give these a try.

6. Mary Lehan
    March 17, 2012 at 1:30 PM (6 years ago)

I have cooked for years and never thought of putting the meatloaf in muffin tins. However, I have Texas muffin tins and this past week cooked the portions that way. What a blessing, and it is so easy. Thank you for the suggestion.

7. Sherry
    April 9, 2012 at 7:46 PM (6 years ago)

These are both simple and delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Turkey Meatloaf Muffins