Russell and I got married in Mexico last July, with 70 of our family members and closest friends in attendance. Although a week in Mexico would have made for a lovely honeymoon, I don’t count any trip that my parents and in-laws attend as a honeymoon.
So, after much debate, we picked Belize for our belated honeymoon. And we couldn’t have picked a better place to go. This was hands down my favorite vacation, and Belize might just beat out Italy for my favorite foreign country.
Now you might be wondering how Belize could possibly be better than Italy. Well. Let me tell you.
1. The water was unreal. The colors were amazing. The temperature was perfect. And the snorkeling was like swimming in the world’s best aquarium. We saw eels, turtles, sting rays, sharks, dolphins, and every color of fish imaginable.
2. The weather was perfect – no rain and not once was I cold.
3. We spent about 50 percent of our vacation laying under beach palapas or in an oversized chair for two by the pool.
4. We spent the other 50 percent walking along the beach, kayaking, swimming, touring the jungle, and seeing Mayan Ruins.
5. The island was lush and green, sprinkled with gorgeous flowers.
6. The food was an amazing mix of the Carribean’s fresh fruit and fish and Latin American spices – with a slight Mayan influence. Oh, and fantastic breads, pastries, and desserts.
7. The drinks were about 5 times stronger than ones in America.
8. The people were so unbelievably nice.
9. Our hotel was lovely and luxurious. It was about three miles from the little town on the island, so it was very quiet and relaxing. Great restaurants, bars, and shopping were just a short water taxi away.
10. I had a whole week with my loving, funny, smart, strong, handsome husband – just us two. And I can’t think of a better way to spend a week.